21 March 2015

Lawless

This is a sample poem from my second poetry book "Chosen vanities"

In obvious homage to G. K. Chesterton

Ordered words for an ordered world
Such is my day-time image, my echo
Of the calls for soldiers on the streets
To shoot young looters, and defeat
Also the looters-in-chief
And yet, my lawless heart desires
As much, the sound of breaking glass
As any "high spirited" Bullingdon boy
And so I break my own reflection
My ordered, peaceful self-deception
Which makes me wonder where we'd be
If all the world were just like me
All burning fiercely in their rages
Yet doing nothing more than penning
Windy words on feint-ruled pages
And grumbling rather fruitlessly
About some sheltered griefs and pains
But whose is the hand that holds the reins
Restraining all this lawless behaviour
Self-willed rebellion, greed and hate?
What is wrong with the world today?
What is wrong with the world?
What is wrong with today?
I am
I am
I am

(c) Edward Rhodes (2013)

No comments: